Habitually, these days while working in the kitchen, I switch on a Malayalam news channel on youtube , not only to keep myself abreast with the current affairs in Gods Own Country , but also to get rid of the monotony  of the routine.The moment a channel is selected along with the nonchalant face of the news reader ,comes the garlands of comments in the section below. My instantaneous reaction is to switch those off as it is nothing but negativity filled hate dialogues in the choicest of Malayalam words.
     What has happened to malayalees ethics and civic sense? I know, its an oft repeated question! I know malayalees are a highly responsive lot. But there is something called a language etiquette. the comments section on any social media platform , be it Facebook, twitter or channels like YouTube , the replies and responses are nauseating. I fail to understand , why such insanely vulgar words should be used , when the same response with equal strength can be said in a saner and civil language.Malayalam is not a language that lacks strong positive words.
   It wholly depends on the persons attitude and upbringing after all.Let me recall a recent , rather unpleasant experience I had , which unfortunately my teenage daughter was also a witness to. We were travelling back from Kochi, and as the flight waited to taxi, we were being distracted by the loud conversation of the passenger sitting ahead of us. He was talking to his kid in a typical dialect, unmindful of the public place he was in. Since the mobile was held up to his face I could clearly see the kid( 4 or 5 years old) he was talking with.The steward approached the row of seats and politely told that since the row was close to the emergency exit , they had to adhere to certain safety rules and measures in case of any untoward incident.The nut case man, told his kid " son , hang on , this #@#$# is trying to teach me , what to do if the plane catches fire."  Once the steward left after the mandatory exercise  , he unashamedly turned to his co-passenger and in a haughty manner declared,  
" he is teaching me, uff, if it catches fire , we will burn out, what else!" . I turned to look at my daughter and she was staring at that person with horror written large in her eyes.She said, " Amma , that child he is speaking to heard the words he used. Thats cruel."
     With such spiteful words and actions, you think people would consider you a hero? I still cant digest that.And you are molding the next generation in the same way. Show your anger, your opposite views, that is the sign of democracy. But do it in a way that shows to the world that Kerala is indeed Gods own country and not Devils nest!! 
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swami Saranam

P for privacy

Feathered vs weathered